Chicken & Gruyere French Toast
Roasted chicken breast, savory french toast, gruyere cheese, asparagus and snow pea salad, lemon herb dressing
5 / 5
- (a) sliced baguette
- (b) savory french toast batter
- (c) chicken breast, fennel
- (d) asparagus, snow peas
- (e) arugula, frisee
- (f) lemon chervil dressing
- (g) gruyere cheese
- skillet or saute pan
- wooden spoon
- paper towel
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the chicken out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the chicken longer than this recipe card indicates.
- Place the pieces of baguette (a) on a plate. Open the container of french toast batter (b). Soak the pieces of baguette one at a time in the batter (turn the bread over so both sides are coated with batter). Place the batter-soaked baguette back on the plate.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the chicken (c) to the pan and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook without stirring for 1 minute, then turn each piece of chicken over in the pan. Cook for another minute.
- Next add the asparagus and snow peas (d) to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Saute for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the arugula & frisee (e) to the pan. Turn the heat off but keep the pan on the burner. Stir continuously for 30 seconds.
- Pour the lemon chervil dressing (f) over the chicken and vegetables in the pan. Stir well to incorporate everything together. Spoon the chicken and vegetables on to your serving plates, and use a spoon to get all of the dressing out of the pan.
- Carefully wipe out the pan with a paper towel then put it back over medium-high heat for 90 seconds. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Lay the pieces of batter-soaked baguette down in the pan. Spread them out evenly so they are all touching the bottom of the pan. Cook for 1 minute, and then check to see if they are golden brown. If they are, use a spatula to flip them over. If not, keep checking every 30 seconds until they are done.
- When both sides of the bread are golden brown, remove the pan from the heat. Sprinkle the gruyere (g) on top of the bread and let it melt. Place 2 pieces of bread on top of each serving of chicken and vegetables.
This was a unique and DELICIOUS dish. My husband basically licked his plate clean. And my daughter loved the "cheesy bread"!