Vietnamese Beef Pho
Vietnamese pho, ginger-spiced grass-fed beef meatballs, shaved carrots & bok choy, fresh herbs
0 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) rice noodles
- (b) marinated sweet potato, ginger spiced meatballs
- (c) carrot, bok choy, poblano peppers
- (d) five spice broth(d) five spice broth
- (e) cilantro, basil, mint sprigs
- (f) limes
- mixing bowl
- plastic wrap
- medium saucepot
- wooden spoon
- For best results, take the beef out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the beef longer than this recipe card indicates.
- Fill a mixing bowl 1/2 way full with hot water. Take the vermicelli noodles (a) out of the package and place in the bowl. The noodles should be completely submerged. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let it sit while you prepare the rest of the dish.
- Cut open the package of beef (b) and place the meat on a plate. Roll the beef into balls slightly larger than a golf ball (you should be able to make 3 balls per serving).
- Put a medium saucepot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pot has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Place the meatballs in the saucepot and sear for 90 seconds. Flip over with tongs or a spoon and sear the other side for 90 seconds. (If you are preparing 4+ servings, sear both sides for 2 minutes).
- Add the bok choy, carrots and peppers (c) to the pot and stir with a wooden spoon to incorporate. Saute without stirring for 30 seconds.
- Remove the pot from the heat and add the five spice broth (d). Return the pot to medium-high heat and bring the broth, meat and vegetables up to a simmer. Once simmering, turn the heat down to medium or medium-low to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 3 minutes.
- While the broth is simmering, taste one of the vermicelli noodles. If they are soft, strain the noodles and place in your serving bowls, otherwise cook for another minute and check again. Pick the stems from the herbs (e) and place the leaves in your bowls on top of the noodles.
- Spoon the meatballs on top of the noodles and herbs and ladle the vegetables and broth into the bowls. Squeeze the lime wedges (f) over top to finish the dish with lime juice.
New World Sauvignon Blanc
No reviews for this recipe yet!