Hot & Sour Chicken Udon
Roasted chicken breast, udon noodles, vegetable stir fry, hot & sour egg drop soup
0 / 5
- (a) chicken breast, marinated tofu
- (b) udon noodles
- (c) anaheim peppers, cremini mushroom, zucchini, red onion
- (d) hot and sour broth
- (e) farm egg
- (f) scallion
- skillet or saute pan
- medium saucepot
- small bowl & fork
- wooden spoon
- cutting board & knife
- For best results, take the chicken out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the chicken longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Fill a 4-6 quart pot 2/3 of the way with water. Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water. (The water should taste salty). Bring to a boil and then start step #3.
- Cut open the package of chicken (a) and place on a plate. Season on both sides with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken in the pan and sear for 2 minutes, then flip over and sear the other side for 2 minutes. After searing, put the skillet of chicken in your preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 6 minutes. After 6 minutes, remove the skillet from the oven and place the chicken on a cutting board to rest.
- Open the package of noodles (b) and add to the pot of boiling water. Cook for 3 minutes.
- Pour the mushrooms, zucchini and peppers (c) into the pan you used for the chicken. Season with a pinch of salt. Stir and spread the vegetables out in the pan. Pour the hot & sour broth (c) over the vegetables.
- Place the pan on the stove over medium heat and bring up to a simmer. Occasionally scrape the bottom of the pan to release the fond. When the vegetables and broth have reached a simmer, turn the heat down to low.
- At this point, your noodles should be cooked. Taste and if they are too firm, boil for 1 more minute. Then drain the water from the noodles and place the noodles into your serving bowls.
- Crack the eggs (e) into a bowl. Add 1 tsp of water for each egg and beat with a fork. Hold the bowl of beaten egg several inches above the pan of vegetables and broth. Slowly drizzle the egg into the pan while gently stirring the broth. Simmer for 1 minute. While simmering, place the scallions (f) on a cutting board and cut into small pieces.
- Ladle the broth over the noodles. Cut the chicken into 1/2 inch thick slices and place on top. Sprinkle the chopped scallions over everything.
No reviews for this recipe yet!