Orecchiette Pasta With Short Rib
Orecchiette, short rib, red wine reduction, spinach, turnips, walnut & date brown butter
5 / 5
- (a) walnut date brown butter
- (b) spanish yellow onion, garlic, carrot, turnip
- (c) orecchiette pasta
- (d) red wine jus(d) red wine jus
- (e) broccolini, braised short rib
- (f) spinach
- (g) grated parmesan
- 4-6 quart saucepot
- skillet or saute pan
- wooden spoon
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the short rib out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the short rib longer than this recipe card indicates.;Fill a 4-6 quart saucepot 2/3 full with water. Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water. (The water should taste salty). Bring to a boil and then start step #3.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the turnips, carrots, onion and garlic (a) to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When the vegetables have cooked for 3 minutes, add the orecchiette pasta (b) to the pot of boiling water. Cook the pasta for 11 minutes.
- When the vegetables have cooked for 4 minutes, turn the heat on the skillet down to low and add the red wine reduction (c) to the pan. Bring the mixture up to a simmer and then add the short rib (d) to the pan. Let the mixture simmer on low for 7 minutes. (Note: if you notice the mixture is getting dry, add 1-2 tbsp of water to the pan.)
- After 7 minutes, add the baby spinach (e) to the pan with the short rib and vegetables. Season lightly with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and turn the heat on the skillet up to medium-low.
- When the pasta has cooked for 11 minutes, taste and if the orecchiette is too firm, boil for 1 more minute. Then drain the water from the pasta and pour the cooked pasta into your skillet with the short rib and vegetables. Stir to incorporate the ingredients together.
- Add the walnut & date brown butter (f) to the pan. Stir well. Finish by sprinkling the parmesan (g) over the pasta in the pan. Stir. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you wish.
- Spoon the short rib, vegetables and pasta into your serving bowls.
October 20, 2018