Harissa Chicken & Eggplant
Harissa marinated chicken breast, couscous, eggplant, cucumber yogurt sauce
0 / 5
- (a) chicken breast, broccoli crowns
- (b) cauliflower, carrot, eggplant, harissa marinade
- (c) vegetable stock, harissa marinade
- (d) raw israeli couscous
- (e) cucumber yogurt sauce
- skillet or saute pan
- 4-6 quart pot
- wooden spoon
- cutting board & knife
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the chicken out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the chicken longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Fill a 4-6 quart pot with water. Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water. (The water should taste salty). Bring the water up to a boil. Once the water is boiling, start step #3.
- Use scissors to cut open the package of chicken (a). Place the chicken on a plate and season on both sides with a pinch of salt and pepper. Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the chicken in the pan and sear for 2 minutes, then use tongs to flip the chicken over and sear the other side for 2 minutes.
- Add the eggplant, carrots and cauliflower (b) to the pan of chicken. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat off and pour the harissa tomato stock (c) over the chicken and vegetables. Then return to medium-high heat and bring the mixture up to a simmer.
- When the chicken, vegetables and stock are simmering, place the pan in your preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 7 minutes.
- As soon as you put the chicken and vegetables in the oven, add the couscous (d) to the pot of boiling water. Stir well. Cook for 4 minutes then strain and reserve the couscous in the strainer.
- When the chicken and vegetables have cooked for 7 minutes, remove the skillet from the oven. Place the chicken on a cutting board to rest. Put the pan of vegetables back on the stovetop over medium heat. When the vegetables have reached a simmer, add the couscous to the pan. Stir well to incorporate the couscous into the vegetables and stock. Taste and add more salt and pepper if you wish.
- Slice the chicken breast into 1/2 inch thick slices. Spoon the vegetables and couscous on to your serving plates. Place the chicken on top. Pour the cucumber yogurt sauce (e) over everything or spoon on the side.
No reviews for this recipe yet!