Chicken Kebab & Orzo Salad
Garlic chicken, red pepper & mushroom kebabs, orzo & spring vegetable salad, romesco sauce (try with our wine pairing)
0 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) orzo pasta
- (b) pickled asparagus, corn, shishito pepper
- (c) green garlic dressing
- (d) soaked bamboo skewers
- (e) marinated mushrooms, marinated red pepper, marinated zucchini, marinated red onion
- (f) cut & marinated chicken breast, marinated cherry tomatoes
- (g) macadamia romesco sauce
- grill or broiler pan
- mixing bowl
- 2 plates
- medium saucepot
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the chicken out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the chicken longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat a grill to high or your oven to broil.
- Fill a 4-6 quart pot 2/3 full with water. Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water. (The water should taste salty). Bring to a boil and add the orzo (a). Cook for 11 minutes. When the pasta is done, strain and rinse with room temperature water.
- Add the corn, asparagus and peppers (b) to a mixing bowl. Pour the green garlic dressing (c) over top. Add the cooked orzo and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Mix well with a spoon. Set aside until the kebabs are finished.
- Open the package of skewers (d) and lay on a plate. (Note: you do not have to soak the skewers as they have been pre-soaked). Cut open the package of mushrooms, red pepper, zucchini and onion (e) and place on the plate beside the skewers. Then cut open the package of chicken pieces (f) and place on a different plate.
- Assemble the skewers. You will have enough meat and vegetables to prepare 2 skewers per person. Leave about 2 inches on either end of each skewer to make it easy to handle. Start with a piece of red pepper, then follow with a combination of chicken, mushroom, zucchini and onion, in whatever order you prefer. Always try to have red pepper at both ends.
- If you are using a grill: place the prepared kebabs on the grill horizontally and cook for 3 minutes, then rotate 45 degrees and cook for another 3 minutes. Flip over and cook the other side for 3 minutes, then rotate 45 degrees and cook for another 3 minutes. Then flip the kebabs over a quarter turn and lay them down on the side of the chicken that has not been grilled and cook for 3 minutes, then flip over and cook the other “short” side for 3 minutes.
- If you are using an oven: place the prepared kebabs on a broiler pan and put in your preheated oven for 5 minutes. After 5 minutes, pull the kebabs out and flip them over. Cook for another 5 minutes. During the last 5 minutes, check kebabs every minute. At the end of the 10 minutes, cut open one piece of chicken to make sure it is cooked to your liking. If not, cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- When the kebabs have finished cooking on the grill or in the oven, transfer to a clean plate. Let them rest for 2 minutes. While the kebabs are resting, spoon the romesco sauce (g) onto your serving plates. Spoon the orzo and spring vegetable salad on top of the sauce. Place the kebabs on top of the salad.
No reviews for this recipe yet!