Holiday Short Rib Dinner
Braised short rib, red wine jus, truffled risotto, roasted winter vegetables, blue cheese and apple salad
0 / 5
- (a) celery root, carrot, parsnip, turnip
- (b) red wine jus
- (c) braised short rib
- (d) parmesan stock
- (e) par cooked risotto
- (f) truffle butter, grated parmesan, parsley, chives
- large saute pan with lid or aluminum foil to cover
- 2 wooden spoons
- small or medium saucepan
- For best results, take the short rib out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the short rib longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 400 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 2 tbsp of oil to the pan. Add the winter vegetables (a) to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper and stir. Saute for 3 minutes.
- After 3 minutes, turn the heat off and add the red wine jus (b) to the pan. Turn the heat back on to medium-high. Add the short rib (c) to the pan and bring it up to a simmer. Once simmering, use a serving spoon to baste the short rib by scooping juice from the pan and pouring the juice over the short rib. Reduce the heat to medium or low to maintain a simmer. Simmer for 2 minutes.
- After 2 minutes, baste the short rib once more. Cover the pan with either a lid or aluminum foil and place in your 400 degree oven. Cook for 30 minutes, basting the short rib every 10-12 minutes. Note: When the short rib has been in the oven for 20 minutes, you will begin the risotto. Before you start the risotto, now is a good time to make the apple & blue cheese salad. (See separate recipe card).
- When the short rib has been in the oven for 20 minutes, make the risotto. Place a saucepot on the stovetop over no heat. Pour the parmesan stock (d) into the pot. Turn the heat on to medium-high and bring the stock up to a simmer. Once simmering, add the risotto (e) to the pot. Stir and gently separate the pieces of risotto and return to a simmer.
- Once the risotto is simmering, turn the heat down so that it is barely at a simmer, with sporadic bubbles. Stir regularly for 10 minutes or until 80% of the liquid is absorbed. When 80% of the liquid is absorbed, turn the heat off. Add the truffled butter with herbs and parmesan (f) and stir to incorporate. Taste and add salt and pepper if you wish.
- Reserve the risotto to the side and remove the short rib from the oven. Baste the short rib one last time.
- Spoon the risotto onto your serving plates. Place the short rib and vegetables on top. Serve the apple and blue cheese salad on the side.
No reviews for this recipe yet!