Jerk Spiced Shrimp & Mango
Jerk spiced shrimp, sweet potato tostones, black bean & mango salsa
5 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) sweet potato
- (b) jerk flour
- (c) poblano peppers, red onion, garlic
- (d) marinated shrimp, asparagus
- (e) jerk sauce
- (f) black bean mango salsa
- mixing bowl
- skillet or saute pan
- plate lined with paper towel
- wooden spoon
- For best results, take the shrimp out of the refrigerator 5 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the shrimp longer than this recipe card indicates.
- Add the sweet potato (a) to a saucepot, then add water to the saucepot until the sweet potatoes are covered and submerged. Put the saucepot over medium-high heat. When the water is simmering, turn the heat down to medium-low to maintain a low boil. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, drain the water from the sweet potatoes and pour them into a mixing bowl. Using the back of a fork, mash the sweet potatoes until mostly smooth with a few small chunks. Add the flour (b) and season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Continue mashing with the back of your fork to incorporate. If you still see some flour after mashing, that’s okay.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Using a serving spoon, spoon silver dollar-sized dollops of sweet potato dough into the pan. You will have enough for 2 tostones per person. Use the back of a spatula to lightly press down on the sweet potato tostones. Cook for 2 minutes, then flip the tostones over and cook on the other side for 2 minutes. Place on a plate lined with paper towel. Season each tostone with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Keep the pan over medium-high heat. If the pan is dry, add 1 tsp of oil to the pan. Add the garlic, peppers, onion (c) to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir. Saute for 1 minute.
- Use scissors to cut open the package of shrimp (d) and add the shrimp to the pan. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Spread the shrimp out in the pan using a wooden spoon. Cook for 90 seconds, then flip the shrimp over and cook for another minute. Add half of the jerk sauce (e) to the pan and stir. Reserve the other half for later.
- When the shrimp is cooked to your liking, remove the skillet from the heat. Place the tostones on to your serving plates. Add the shrimp and vegetables next to the tostones. Drizzle the rest of the jerk sauce over the dish and top with the black bean & mango salsa (f).
Red Stripe Jamaican Lager
September 17, 2020