Baked Sausage & Orecchiette Pasta
Family-friendly: baked sausage & orecchiette pasta, peas, carrots, creamy tomato sauce
5 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) orecchiette pasta
- (b) fennel sausage, broccoli
- (c) peas, carrot
- (d) tomato cream sauce
- (e) shredded mozzarella
- (f) basil
- 4-6 quart pot
- skillet or saute pan
- wooden spoon
- cutting board & knife
- For best results, take the sausage out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the sausage longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Fill a 4-6 quart pot 2/3 of the way full with water. Put the pot on the stove over high heat. Add 2 tbsp of salt to the water (the water should taste salty). When the water has come up to a boil, add the orecchiette pasta (a) to the pot. Cook for 11 minutes.
- While the pasta is cooking, slice the sausage (b) into 1/4 inch thick slices. Heat a large skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the slices of sausage to the pan and cook for 1 minute, then turn each piece over and cook for another minute.
- Add the peas and carrots (c) to the pan with the sausage. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally, then remove the pan from the heat.
- When the pasta has finished cooking, strain the water. Add the pasta to the pan of sausage and vegetables. Pour the tomato cream sauce (d) over top of the pasta, sausage and vegetables. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Gently stir to incorporate everything together.
- Add the shredded mozzarella (e) over the pasta and sausage mixture, making sure to spread the cheese out evenly. Then place the pan of pasta and sausage in your 425 degree oven and bake for 10 minutes.
- While the pasta is baking, place the basil (f) on a cutting board. Pick the stems from the leaves and discard. Chiffonade the basil by wrapping the largest leaf around the other leaves and slicing the basil into thin strips.
- When the pasta has finished baking, remove from the oven. Sprinkle the basil over top.
October 17, 2020