Tilapia With Corn & Cheddar Fritters
Blackened tilapia, corn & cheddar fritters, shaved brussels sprout salad, mustard aioli
5 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) corn fritter batter
- (b) tilapia, okra
- (c) blackening spice
- (d) red onion, carrot, shaved brussels sprouts, red cabbage
- (e) mustard aioli
- (f) pickled green tomatoes
- skillet or saute pan
- wooden spoon
- mixing bowl
- spoon to scoop batter
- spoon to mix salad
- 2 plates
- For best results, take the fish out of the refrigerator 5 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the fish longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 2 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan, plus a little extra. Open the container of fritter batter (a) and gently stir with a dinner spoon. Use the spoon to drop the batter into the pan (you should have enough batter to make 2 medium-sized fritters per serving). Try to space the fritters out in the pan to leave room for them to expand (similar to when you make pancakes). Immediately put the pan of fritters into your preheated 425 degree oven. Bake for 2 minutes.
- While the fritters are baking, use scissors to cut open the package of tilapia (b) and place on a plate. Season the fish on both sides with a generous pinch of salt & pepper. Make sure that the nice-looking side of the fish is facing up. Pour the blackening spice (c) onto this side of the fish. Use your hands to evenly spread the spices around and press them down into the fish.
- When the fritters have baked for 2 minutes, remove the pan from the oven. Use a spatula to flip the fritters over and put the pan back in the oven for another 2 minutes.
- Pour the brussels sprouts, carrots & onions (d) into a mixing bowl. Season with a pinch of salt & pepper. Pour 1/2 of the mustard aioli (e) into the bowl and mix well with a spoon.
- Your fritters should be ready. Pull the pan from the oven and place the fritters on a plate to rest. (Keep the oven set at 425 degrees).
- Put the skillet or saute pan you were using for the fritters back on the stovetop over medium-high heat for 1 minute. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the tilapia spice-side down on the pan and cook for 1 minute. Then put the pan into your 425 degree oven and bake for 2 minutes. After 2 minutes, take the pan out of the oven and flip the fish over. Put the pan back in the oven for 2 and 1/2 minutes.
- Lay the pickled green tomatoes (f) on your serving plates. Add the fritters on top and spoon the salad over the fritters. Place the tilapia on top and pour the remaining aioli over the entire dish.
Delicious! So easy. The blackened fish with the salad was amazing.
Great summer weekday dish. We loved the cabbage and Brussels sprout salad with the blackened fish.
We loved this meal! There were so many different layers with unique flavors that all came together perfectly to create a delicious, complex meal.