Family-friendly meal: steak torta, black bean crema, mexican coleslaw
0 / 5
- (a) demi baguette
- (b) cremini mushroom, chili rubbed sirloin
- (c) poblano peppers, savoy cabbage, carrot
- (d) guajillo chili dressing
- (e) black bean crema
- (f) cilantro
- baking tray
- skillet or saute pan
- mixing bowl & tongs
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the sirloin out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the sirloin longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Arrange the pieces of french baguette (a) on a baking tray. Put the tray in your preheated 425 degree oven and bake for 6 minutes.
- While the baguette is baking, heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Add the sirloin (b) to the pan and season with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes without stirring, then stir and cook for 4-5 minutes more, stirring occasionally.
- While the sirloin is cooking, add the cabbage, carrots and poblanos (c) to a mixing bowl. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Pour 3/4 of the guajillo chili dressing (d) over top. Gently toss to coat the vegetables with dressing. Save the remaining dressing to drizzle on the torta later.
- At this point, the baguette should be ready. Remove the baking tray from the oven and place the bread on a plate. Split each piece of bread open length-wise with a knife, but do not slice all the way through (like a hot dog bun). The bread will be hot so we suggest using a towel to hold it. Spread the black bean crema (e) over both sides of the baguette.
- When the steak has finished cooking, let it rest on a plate for 2 minutes.
- Spoon the vegetable slaw into each sandwich. Pick the stems from the cilantro (f) and place some of the leaves on top of the slaw. Place pieces of sirloin on the other side of each sandwich. Drizzle the remaining guajillo chile dressing over the sirloin.
- Serve the steak torta with any remaining vegetable slaw on the side.
No reviews for this recipe yet!