French Onion Chicken
Roasted chicken breast, french onion soup, mushrooms, gruyere crostini
5 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) spanish yellow onion
- (b) cremini mushroom
- (c) chicken breast, rutabaga
- (d) french onion broth
- (e) marinated baguette slices
- (f) gruyere cheese
- skillet or saute pan
- wooden spoon
- seasoning plate
- For best results, take the chicken out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the chicken longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat a skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of olive oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Turn the heat down to medium and add the onion (a). Season with a pinch of salt. Cook for 6-10 minutes, stirring frequently, until the onions have caramelized. Then add the mushrooms (b) to the pan. Cook the onions and mushrooms for 1 minute, stirring occasionally.
- While the onions and mushrooms are cooking, cut open the package of chicken (c) and place on a plate. Season on both sides with a pinch of salt and pepper. Push the onions and mushrooms into a pile on one side of the pan. Turn the heat up to medium-high and place the chicken in the pan. Sear for 2 minutes, then flip over and sear the other side for 2 minutes. After searing, spread the onions and mushrooms around in the pan to surround the chicken.
- Remove the pan from the heat and pour the french onion broth (d) over the chicken, onions and mushrooms. Bring the broth up to a simmer.
- When the soup is simmering, place the pieces of baguette (e) on top of the chicken, onions and mushrooms. Sprinkle the gruyere cheese (f) on top of each piece of baguette. Place the pan in your 425 degree oven and bake for 6-8 minutes.
- When the soup has finished baking, if you want some added deliciousness, you can turn your oven to broil and broil until the cheese is golden brown. Check every 10-20 seconds to make sure you do not burn the bread or cheese.
- Remove the pan from the oven (remember the handle is hot!). Use a ladle to spoon mushrooms, onions and broth into your serving bowls. Use a spatula to scoop up a chicken breast and some baguette with cheese and place on top.
Sara, family of 5
Everyone loved this one. Very flavorful. Served chicken snd bread ala cart for the two who are skeptical on mushrooms and onions.
October 22, 2021
October 26, 2021