Texas Brisket Chili
Braised brisket chili, corn and cheddar fritters, cilantro creme fraiche
5 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) spanish yellow onion, poblano peppers, corn
- (b) braised brisket
- (c) chili rub
- (d) guajillo chile sauce, beef stock, tomatoes
- (e) corn fritter batter
- (f) cilantro crema
- medium saucepot
- wooden spoon
- measuring cup
- saute pan
- For best results, take the brisket out of the refrigerator 10 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the brisket longer than this recipe card indicates. Preheat your oven to 425 degrees fahrenheit.
- Heat a medium saucepot over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pot has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pot. Add the vegetables (a). Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- After 2 minutes, add the beef brisket (b) to the pan. Saute for 30 seconds while you break the meat up into bite-sized pieces with a wooden spoon. Pour the chili rub (c) over the meat and cook for 1 minute, stirring regularly.
- After 1 minute, remove the pan from the heat. Pour the beef stock, tomatoes and guajillo chile sauce (d) to the pan, plus add 1/2 cup of water for each serving you are preparing. Bring the mixture up to a simmer. Once the chili is simmering, adjust the heat to medium or medium-low to maintain a simmer / low boil. Simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. If the liquid evaporates, add a bit more water.
- While the chili is simmering, heat another skillet or saute pan over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 2 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan, plus a little extra. Open the container of corn fritter batter (e) and gently stir with a dinner spoon. Use the spoon to drop the batter into the pan (you should have enough batter to make 2 medium-sized fritters per serving). Try to space the fritters out in the pan to leave room for them to expand (similar to when you make pancakes). Immediately put the pan of fritters into your preheated 425 degree oven. Bake for 2 minutes, then use a spatula to flip the fritters over and put the pan back in the oven for another 2 minutes.
- When the chili has finished cooking, taste and add more salt and pepper if you wish. Spoon the chili into your serving bowls. Place the fritters on top. Finish with a dollop of cilantro crema (f).
August 12, 2022