Shrimp & Cheddar Grits
Shrimp & cheddar grits, kale, poblano peppers, crispy bacon, cajun gravy
0 / 5
Leave A Review
- (a) milk, vegetable stock
- (b) cornmeal
- (c) bacon, poblano peppers, garlic, spanish yellow onion
- (d) cajun stock
- (e) baby kale
- (f) butter, cheddar
- (g) marinated shrimp
- small sauce pot
- measuring cup
- seasoning plate
- skillet or sauté pan
- wooden spoon
- paper towel
- serving spoon
- For best results, take the shrimp out of the refrigerator 5 minutes before starting to cook. If you skip this step, you may need to cook the shrimp longer than this recipe card indicates.
- Pour the stock and milk (a) into a measuring cup and take note of the volume, then pour into a small saucepot. Add the same amount of water into the pot and put over high heat. Bring up to a boil. Once boiling, turn down the heat to medium-low, then pour the cornmeal (b) into the liquid. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Whisk constantly until the mixture comes back up to a simmer.
- When the mixture is simmering and the cornmeal is incorporated, use a wooden spoon to stir and scrape down the sides of the pot. Then simmer for 25 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Wait until the grits have simmered for 15 minutes, then heat a skillet over medium-high heat for 2 minutes. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Pour the bacon, poblanos, garlic and onion (c) into the skillet and season with salt and pepper. Saute for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and add the cajun gravy (d) to the pan. Then put the pan back over medium-high heat and bring the gravy up to a simmer. Once simmering, simmer for 3 minutes.
- When the gravy has simmered for 3 minutes, add the kale (e) to the gravy. Cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly until the kale is wilted. Pour the cooked vegetables and gravy into a serving bowl.
- Returning to the grits, add the cheddar and butter (f) to the pot and stir well to incorporate into the grits. Taste and add salt and pepper if you wish. Keep the grits over low heat until you are ready to serve.
- Wipe the skillet out with paper towel and place back on medium-high heat for 1 and 1/2 minutes. Cut open the package of shrimp (g) and place on a plate. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. When the pan has warmed up, add 1 tbsp of oil or enough to coat the bottom of the pan. Place the shrimp in the pan and cook for 2 minutes, then flip over and cook for 1 minute or until the shrimp is opaque.
- Spoon the grits onto your serving plates and place the shrimp on top. Pour the kale and cajun gravy over everything.
No reviews for this recipe yet!